The Debt Dialogues [Episode 19]: Tara Smith on Happiness
The Debt Dialogues is a weekly podcast that aims to educate young people about the welfare state and how it will affect their future. In this episode, I interview Tara Smith, a professor of philosophy at the University of Texas, and author of Ayn Rand’s Normative Ethics: The Virtuous Egoist, on the questions: What is happiness, and does the welfare state help or hinder our pursuit of happiness?
Issues covered include:
- Common misconceptions about happiness
- Can money buy happiness?
- The value of happiness studies
- Whether we have a moral obligation to make others happy
- The contribution of a productive career to a happy life
- Tara Smith’s bio
- Ayn Rand’s Normative Ethics: The Virtuous Egoist – Tara Smith
- Money Can Buy Happiness – Tara Smith
- Ayn Rand on Happiness
- Ayn Rand on Money
Image: Bruce Rolff via Shutterstock.com